Thursday, August 11, 2011

Not Bert


I went to see Mary Poppins tonight with one of my coworkers, Anna, and some of her friends. Two years ago, for Halloween, Anna came to work dressed as Mary and I came as Bert.

After the show, we hung around the stage door and got the autograph of the actress who played Mary. We lingered around, taking pictures in front of a poster. As we parted, Anna and her friends were calling me Bert and saying, "Goodbye, Bert."

As I stood at the crosswalk, waiting for the light to change, a girl (maybe in her teens) who had been in earshot of us came running up and asked me, in complete sincerity, if I would sign her playbill.

I had to tell her I wasn't really in the performance; my friends were just teasing me. To which she responded, "Oh, that's embarrassing."

But deep down inside, I wish I were in the performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment